SOCIAL MEDIA

Sign up to follow this blog:
If you are looking to see how much your melmac is worth, read this post. MOBILE USERS: Scroll down below posts to find a searchable directory of plastics and antiques.
Friday, June 3, 2011

Melmac Mystery in Art Deco Red Cups : I Need a Bakelite Test Kit

So gorgeous $22, set of 4 at RetroChalet.

I did not know what to make of these cups I have.  They are only 3" tall and have art deco styling on the ridges.   Molded of heavy duty melmac-melamine feel, I almost questioned if they were bakelite--though I've never been one to see mottled red bakelite.  I really need to get one of those test kits.  They are so much more beautiful in person, the photos do not do them justice.
The camera does not do them justice. They are so lovely truly thick and heavy duty!


Strangely there are no two alike, they are a mix of reds and whites and so mottled and so lovely. They almost remind me of children's cups or small dice holders. There is a strange "circle" mold mark in the center of the inside, but not visible from the bottom.  I have many of these and I was wondering if they were custom store stock molded for the game industry, I don't know. If anyone has ever seen these before let me know. I am wondering just what they are!

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, thanks and if you like this blog please share!